Yes research has shown that women need more sleep than men!
Women brain is more complex than that of men
More women (18%) are likely to suffer from sleep deprivation compared to men (8%)
Women need 20 minutes of extra sleep compared to men.
As good sleep is essential for both physical and mental health, but it is proved that it is quite different when coming to the comparison between both men and women.
As women are multi-tasker and do lots of work at once. Their brain gets wired complexly and exhausts when meeting a peak point so it is advised that women need 20 minutes of extra sleep when compared to men.
People who have sleep disorders have various health hazards. When coming to women, research done by duke university showed that women who had less sleep have various physical heath disturbances like heart disease, diabetes, restless leg syndrome, etc. and coming to mental health issues like anxiety depression.
Lough-borough University’s Sleep Research Center recently conducted a study that found women need more sleep than men. About 20 more minutes of sleep per night, to be precise.
There are factors that may affect women’s quantity and quality of sleep:
There are periods, where women have hormonal influences on the body like menarche, menopause. This period can cause physical discomfort along with mental health issues. This is the period where women need more rest compared to others.
Stress and weight again:
Women take many tasks at a time like home and office at once. This can lead to increased stress hormone in the body called cortisol. This hormone has an effect on the body by increasing the appetite, thereby leading to obesity. This stress can be avoided by giving extra sleep of women
As per the National Sleep Foundation, young adults and adults aged 26 to 64 years should sleep for at least 7 to 9 hours a day. Adults over 64 years need to sleep for almost 7 to 8 hours a day. While teenagers require around 9 to 10 hours, for school-aged kids and pre-schoolers, it is even more.
Ways to improve sleep in women:
- Maintain a particular sleep schedule: Get up and sleep at one particular time. This practice can lead to neuroplasticity in the brain and help in the improvement of sleep.
- Avoid doing exercises or taking caffeine in evening times.especially after 3 pm. This can make you stay awake all night
- Use specific sleep supporting devices which can help in boosting the sleep.
- Consult the doctor: to rule out any physical and mental disturbances so that it can be treated by medications and consulting
- Try to relax your mind before going to sleep. If you keep on stressing about things even at night, you might find it hard to get some quality slumber.
- Do not watch your smartphone, laptop, and TV at least an hour before going to bed. The blue light emitting from electronic gadgets can hamper your sweet sleep.
For more related articles regarding Mental and physical health:
- What are the Snoring Treatment And Remedies?
- Electronics that helps to get rid of sleep deprivation
- How can sleeping with TV on can cause obesity?
- What is snoring and the causes of snoring?