Eyes , Ears , Nose & OralHealth Research News

Person Gone Blind After Wearing Contact Lens in Shower

A 2009 study reported there are an estimated 1 to 2 million cases of AK among contact users annually in the US. Many people don't know exact precautions about how to use a contact lens and unfortunately there are no warnings from that of the manufacturing side. Taking bath, or swimming with the contact lens could leave you blind as per many reports. It is better to take a careful precaution and know about the heath care products before using them.

Person went blind after wearing a contact lens in the shower !

Keeping the contact lenses in while swimming and showering can lead to serious consequences: women who had this habit of doing so had developed a rare eye infection that left her legally blind in one eye, according to a new report of the case.

The 41-year-old woman, who lives in the United Kingdom, went to the eye doctor after experiencing blurry vision, eye pain and sensitivity to light in her left eye for two months, according to the report, which was published today (July 17) in The New England Journal of Medicine. (source)
She told doctors that she has been wearing the disposable, soft contact lenses and that she kept them in while swimming and showering, the report said.

After suspected difference in the vision, she got her eyes tested and An eye test showed that her vision was 20/200 in her left eye, the threshold for being “legally blind” in the United States.

Fortunately, her right eye was not affected. Doctors after the careful examinations saw a cloudiness or haze in the women’s cornea, the eye’s transparent outer covering.

They performed various other tests and the eye test that uses a special dye to detect damage to this covering. During this test, any damage to the cornea will appear green when doctors shine a blue light on the eye, according to the National Institutes of Health.

The doctors noticed that a defect in the woman’s cornea appeared green during the test.
Samples from her eye were taken and were tested positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare parasitic infection of the cornea.


The infection is known to damage a person’s vision and is tied to the use of contact lenses, according to the report, led by Dr. Lanxing Fu, of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital in the United Kingdom.

“Acanthamoeba is an amoeba that’s commonly found in water, soil and air, and dirty places which are contaminated” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Contact lens wearers face a risk of contracting this infection if they engage in certain practices, such as disinfecting lenses with tap water or swimming or showering while wearing lenses, the CDC said.

Though the woman in the recent case was treated with eye medications that cleared her infection. But she was left with vision loss in her left eye due to a scar on her cornea, the report said.


One year later, the woman underwent a partial transplant of her cornea, which replaced part of her damaged corneal tissue with healthy tissue from a deceased donor.

After the surgery, her left eye vision improved slightly but was still impaired, although she had no pain her eye, the report said.

Just last week, after this incident, a man in the United Kingdom said that he contracted Acanthamoeba keratitis after wearing contact lenses in the shower, which also left him blind in one eye.

Six years ago a similar story has come into light where

Nick Humphreys, a 29-year-old man from the UK, made what he calls an “obvious choice” to start wearing contact lenses. But in 2018, the decision left him blind in one eye, he wrote an essay for the Shropshire Star, where he works as a reporter.

“On a standard morning I’d wake up, pop my lenses in and head to the gym before work, then I’d jump in the shower before heading to the office,” he said. “I thought nothing of it at the time. I was never told not to wear contact lenses in the shower, there’s no warning on the packaging and my opticians never mentioned a risk.”

In the essay entitled “My fight for sight: Why Star reporter Nick will never wear contact lenses again,” Humphreys wrote that he first suspected things were not quite right in January 2018 when he experienced dry eyes for a week.

At first, he chalked it up to a lack of sleep and attempted to treat it with over-the-counter eye drops. This didn’t work, he wrote.

Initially, his doctor diagnosed him with an ulcer on his eye. But further testing showed that it was something entirely different.
Humphreys was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right eye, he wrote.

“I couldn’t read a page of a newspaper without being in excruciating pain, light sensitivity was so bad I had to keep the curtains drawn at all times,” he wrote. “I even had to watch Eurovision with my sunglasses on”

One day, he told suddenly went blind in his right eye.
“I was driving to work and my vision completely went in my right eye. I don’t know how I managed not to crash, but it didn’t take me long to realize I needed to get back to the hospital,” he wrote.
So far, he told him he has undergone 3 operations to treat the infection and aid with the healing. In August, he will receive a corneal transplant from a donor and will also have cataract surgery, he wrote.

A year and a half, Humphreys said he regrets ever wearing contacts.
“I can honestly say if I’d had the slightest idea that this was even a remote possibility I would never have worn contacts in the first place. It’s crucial that people out there know this is a reality and can happen because of something as simple as showering,” he wrote.

The journalist also called for manufacturers to show clearer warnings on contact packaging about AK. (source)
“I’ve lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as showering with contacts in,” he wrote.
“Now contact lens makers need to put sufficient warnings on the packaging to stop this preventable condition from destroying more lives.


A 2009 study reported there are an estimated 1 to 2 million cases of AK among contact users annually in the US. many people don’t know exact precautions about how to use a contact lens and unfortunately, there are no warnings from that of the manufacturing side.

Taking bath, or swimming with the contact lens could leave you blind as per many reports. it is better to take careful precautions and know about the health care products before using them.

For more related articles regarding Mental and physical health:
A cup of coffee can fight your obesity ! (VIDEO)
Tooth paste can cause osteoporosis,asthma etc! (VIDEO)
YES! Apples can harm you many ways (VIDEO)
Plants are infecting humans with super bugs ! (VIDEO)
How much coffee you can safely drink? (VIDEO)

Self life hacks

Doctor by profession and blogger by passion

Related Articles

One Comment

  1. Excelⅼent article. Keep posting such kind of information on yօur blog.
    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hello there, You’ve performed an incredible job.
    I’ll certainly digg it and in mү view recommend to
    my friends. I’m c᧐nfident they will be benefited fгom this ԝeb site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
  • Sign up
Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.
We do not share your personal details with anyone.