How to treat acid reflux?
Gastro esophageal reflex disease (GERD) is diagnosed when you have the reflex more than twice a week. This disease effects more than 30 % of the world population and most commonly seen disorder.
The treatment of the GERD can be categorized into various types, that include
life style modifications:
- Not to eat or drink items that may cause GERD, like that of the greasy or spicy foods and alcoholic drinks
- Should not overeat food
- Not to eat 2 to 3 hours before bedtime
- Losing weight if you’re overweight or obese
- Quitting smoking and alcohol
- Wear loose-fitting clothing around your abdomen. Tight clothing can squeeze your stomach area and push acid and stomach contents up into your esophagus(food pipe).
- Stay upright for 3 hours after meals.
- Sleep on a slight angle. Raise the head of your bed at least 6 to 8 inches by safely putting blocks under the bedposts. only using extra pillows will not help.
The foods that can trigger the GERD:
- Garlic and onions
- Caffeine (regular coffee, regular tea, chocolate)
- Citrus fruits/juices
- Tomato products
- Fried, greasy foods
- Spicy foods
- Carbonated beverages
- Mints (peppermint, spearmint.
Treat acid reflex by medical treatment:
The medications should always be taken with a prescription of the doctor.
- H-2-receptor blockers :These include famotidine , nizatidine and ranitidine . These medications when taken long-term use can be associated with a slight increase in risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency and bone fractures.
- Proton pump inhibitors. These include esomeprazole , lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole , rabeprazole and dexlansoprazole . These medications might cause diarrhea, headache, nausea and vitamin B-12 deficiency. Chronic use might increase the risk of hip fracture.
- Strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. Baclofen can reduce GERD by decreasing the frequency of relaxations of the lower esophageal sphincter. Side effects include fatigue or nausea.
Treat acid re-flux by surgical treatment:
When the medical management of the GERD fails, the next option for the control of the GERD includes the surgical management.
- Fundoplication. During the surgery the surgeon will wrap the top of your stomach around the lower esophageal sphincter, to tighten the muscle of the sphincter and there by preventing reflux. Fundoplication is usually done as a laparoscopic procedure. This wrapping of the top part of the stomach can either be partial or complete.
- LINX device. This surgical procedure includes the ring of tiny magnetic beads is wrapped around the junction of the stomach and esophagus. These beads magnetic attraction is strong enough to keep the junction(lower esophageal sphincter) closed to refluxing acid, but weak enough to allow the food to pass through. This Linx device can be implanted using minimally invasive surgery.
The management of the GERD includes various modalities that include dietary and life style modification , medical management and surgical management.Most of the cases of GERD is controlled by the dietary and life style management but if there is no improvement of the symptoms of the GERD , medical treatment proved to be beneficial but if still no results the final resort would be the surgical management of the problem.
For more related articles regarding Mental and physical health:
- What are the Snoring Treatment And Remedies?
- Electronics that helps to get rid of sleep deprivation
- Tomato Juice can reduce blood pressure and cholesterol- Research proven
- How can you tell that you are suffering from acid reflex disease?
- How dark chocolate improves health and your life span !
- Artificial nose can smell cancer! – Research news